Civil Engineering Advanced Apprenticeship
- Subject Area: Civil Engineering
- Attendance: Apprenticeship
- Qualification: Level 3 BTEC Diploma & Level 3 Diploma
- Course Start: September (start dates flexible through the year subject to availability)
- Course Length: 2-3 years depending on experience
- Location: North Street Campus
- Cost: Your employer should pay the costs associated with an Apprenticeship.
Courses run frequently subject to demand
You could progress onto higher education at the College including a HNC/HND Diploma, higher apprenticeship or a degree at university.
All applicants will be required to pass an assessment.
You will need 4 GCSEs at grades A*-C (grade 9-4) including English, mathematics and science.
You must be employed within the trade area to be able to undertake this Apprenticeship course.
What's it all about?
This Civil Engineering Advanced Apprenticeship is available to school leavers, those aged 16-18 and adults.
Civil engineers are responsible for the design, construction and maintenance of the physical and built environment, including works like bridges, roads, railways, airports, canals, dams and buildings. Civil engineers can either be consulting engineeris who advise on projects and design them or contracting engineers who make the plans real. This apprenticeship framework is aimed at those in the design & consultancy areas.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- A careful, methodical and accurate approach to your work
- Good leadership skills
- The ability to work well in a team
What would I learn at College?
- The underpinning mathematics and science related to construction
- The design of construction and how to communicate your design in drawings and specifications
- How to carry out site surveys to produce drawings and sections
- The mathematical analysis of forces acting on structures such as steel framed buildings
- How to take design information from drawings and mark out positions and heights on the ground
- The principles of highway construction and procedures for maintenance of roads
No matter what level you are currently working at, you will be expected to further your skills in English and maths.
You should be aged 16 or over and ideally already be employed or have secured a work placement, however we may be able to help you with this.
To search and apply for apprenticeship vacancies visit the apprenticeship vacancy website.