Civil Engineering Level 3 BTEC Diploma
- Subject Area: Civil Engineering
- Attendance: Part-time
- Qualification: Level 3 BTEC Diploma
- Course Start: September (start dates flexible through the year subject to availability)
- Course Length: 1 year (Level 3 Subsidiary completed) or 2 years
- Location: North Street Campus
- Cost: 1 year - £1,277 2 years - £2,720
Courses run frequently subject to demand
Level 3 BTEC Diploma > Level 4 BTEC Higher National Certificate
Level 4 BTEC Higher National Certificate > Level 5 Higher National Diploma (HND), Higher Apprenticeship or Degree
You will need either a Level 2 BTEC Diploma (including mathematics at Merit or above) or a Level 3 NVQ Diploma in a Construction related area and/or 4 GCSEs at grades A*-C (grade 9-4) in English, mathematics and science.
Mature candidates with other experience or qualifications may also be considered.
What's it all about?
Civil Engineers are responsible for the design, construction and maintenance of the physical and built environment, including works like bridges, roads, railways, airports, canals, dams and buildings. Civil Engineers can either be consulting engineers who advise on projects and design them or contracting engineers who make the plans real.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- An analytical, methodical and accurate approach to your work
- Good organisational skills
- The ability to work well in a team
What would I learn at College?
- The underpinning maths and science related to construction
- The design of construction and how to communicate your design in drawings and specifications
- How to carry out site surveys to produce drawings and sections
- The mathematical analysis of forces acting on structures such as steel framed buildings
- How to take design information from drawings and mark out positions and heights on the ground
- The prinicples of highway construction and procedures for maintenance of roads
You will study this course for 2 years. In the first year you will complete the Level 3 BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment. In the second year you will complete the Level 3 BTEC Diploma and specialise in civil engineering.
This course is equivalent to 2 GCE A Levels
Advanced Learner Loans – Help take the financial worry away from studying with an Advanced Learner Loan.For the full eligibility criteria and all the latest information go to www.direct.gov.uk/advancedlearningloans.