Construction and the Built Environment Level 3 BTEC Diploma
- Subject Area: Construction and the Built Environment
- Attendance: Part-time
- Qualification: Level 3 BTEC Diploma
- Course Start: September (start dates flexible through the year subject to availability)
- Course Length: 1 year (Level 3 Subsidiary completed) or 2 years
- Location: North Street Campus
- Cost: 1 year - £1,277 2 years - £2,720
Courses run frequently subject to demand
Level 3 BTEC Diploma > Level 4 BTEC Higher National Certificate
Level 4 BTEC Higher National Certificate > Level 5 BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND), Higher Apprenticeship or Degree
You will need either a Level 2 BTEC Diploma (including mathematics at Merit or above) or a Level 3 NVQ Diploma a Construction related area and/or 4 GCSEs at grades A*-C (grdae 9-4) including English, mathematics and science.
Mature candidates with other experience or qualifications may also be considered.
What's it all about?
The BTEC Diploma course aims to provide an understanding of the construction industry including health and safety, mathematics, science and materials, estimating and surveying. This course will enable you to progress your career into areas such as architecture, quantity surveying, building control, building surveying and construction management. Many of these jobs combine office based activities with on-site visits to projects and building sites.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- An analytical, methodical and accurate approach to your work
- Good communication skills
- The ability to work well in a team
What would I learn at College?
- The underpinning mathematics and science related to construction
- The design of construction and how to communicate your design in drawings and specifications
- How to carry out site surveys to produce drawings and sections
- How to calculate the cost of construction works and monitor the progress against the budget
You will study this course for 2 years. In the 1st year you will complete the Level 3 BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment. In the second year you will complete the Level 3 BTEC Diploma and have the option to continue on the construction pathway or specialise in building services engineering (see page 60) or civil engineering (see page 61).
This course is equivalent to 2 GCE A Levels.
Advanced Learner Loans – Help take the financial worry away from studying with an Advanced Learner Loan. For the full eligibility criteria and all the latest information go to www.direct.gov.uk/advancedlearningloans.