School Leaver Menu
Construction and the Built Environment Level 3 BTEC Subsidiary/Extended Diploma
- Subject Area: Construction and the Built Environment
- Attendance: Study Programme (School Leaver)
- Qualification: Level 3 BTEC Subsidiary Diploma/Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma
- Course Start: September (start dates flexible through the year subject to availability)
- Course Length: 2 years
- Location: North Street Campus
- Cost: N/A
Courses run frequently subject to demand
You could progress onto higher education at the College including a HNC/HND Diploma, higher apprenticeship or a degree at university.
All applicants will attend an information day. You will then be invited in to attend an interview.
You will need 4 GCSEs at grades A*-C (grade 9-4) including English, mathematics and science and/or a Level 2 BTEC Diploma (including mathematics at Merit or above).
What's it all about?
The BTEC Extended Diploma course aims to provide an understanding of the construction industry including health and safety, mathematics, science and materials, estimating and surveying. This course will enable you to progress your career into areas such as architecture, quantity surveying, building surveying, civil engineering and building services engineering. Many of these jobs combine office based activities with on-site visits to projects and building sites.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- An analytical, methodical and accurate approach to your work
- Good communication skills
- The ability to work well in a teamYou c
What would I learn at College?
- The underpinning mathematics and science related to construction
- The design of construction and how to communicate your design in drawings and specifications
- How to carry out site surveys to produce drawings and sections
- How to interpret design information and ensure the construction works are positioned correctly
- How to carry out surveys to assess the conditons of buildings
- How to calculate the cost of construction works and maintain the progress against the budget