School Leaver Menu
Electrical Study Programme
- Subject Area: Electrical
- Attendance: Study Programme (School Leaver)
- Qualification: Level 1 Diploma & Level 2 Diploma
- Course Start: September (start dates flexible through the year subject to availability)
- Course Length: Level 1 - 1 year Level 2 - 1 year
- Location: Hunslet Campus
- Cost: N/A
Courses run frequently subject to demand
You could progress from a level 1 to a level 2 qualification.
Please note this course is training only and to achieve the full trade NVQ qualification and become fully qualified, you must have on site experience and assessments.
All applicants will be required to sit a BKSB assessment and attend an interview.
You must have achieved a relevant Level 1 electrical qualification to commence the Level 2 Diploma.
It is desirable that you have 3 GCSEs at grades A*-D (grade 9-3) in English, mathematics and science, however it is not essential.
Students who experience difficulty in distinguishing colours due to their colour vision ability will be subject to a colour vision examination before enrolment onto this course.
What's it all about?
Electrician's fit, test and repair electrical installations found in homes and businesses. This could include, fitting consumer units and circuit breakers, connecting wires to sockets, switches and light fittings and installing fire alarms. Installation electricians follow architects or contractors plan to install new electricity equipment.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- A basic understanding of mathematics, calculations and physics
- A careful, methodical and accurate approach to your work
- The ability to follow instructions
How much could I earn?
Newly qualified electricians may earn between £19,000 and £22,000 a year. With experience, this can rise to between £23,000 and £30,000.
What would I learn at College?
- How to install cables and equipment including sockets and switches for electrical installations
- How to test and commission electrical installations to ensure they work and meet the health and safety requirements
- The health and safety legislation relating to the installation and maintenance of electrical systems
- The environmental impact of electrical installations
- How to design electrical installations selecting the correct size and type of cable and equipment (level 2 only)