Furniture Manufacture Apprenticeship
- Subject Area: Furniture Manufacture
- Attendance: Apprenticeship
- Qualification: Level 2 NVQ Diploma & Level 3 NVQ Diploma
- Course Start: September (start dates flexible through the year subject to availability)
- Course Length: Level 2 - 2 years Level 3 - 13 months
- Location: North Street Campus
- Cost: Your employer will pay the costs associated with an Apprenticeship.
Courses run frequently subject to demand
You could progress from a level 2 to a level 3 qualification. There is also the opportunity to progress onto higher education at the College.
All applicants will be required to pass an assessment.
You must have achieved the Level 2 NVQ Diploma to commence the Level 3 NVQ Diploma.
You must be employed within the trade area to be able to undertake this Apprenticeship course.
What's it all about?
This Furniture Manufacture Apprenticeship is available to school leavers, those aged 16-18 and adults.
Furniture Makers work with wood in a workshop and manufacture tables, chairs, doors, cabinets, bookcases and wardrobes. They use traditional woodworking tools as well as specialised power or hand tools for cutting, shaping, smoothing and finishing.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- A careful, methodical and accurate approach to your work
- The ability to follow drawings, plans and written or spoken instructions
- Good organisational skills
How much could I earn?
Starting salaries can be around £14,000 to £17,000 a year. Skilled and experienced furniture makers can earn from £18,000 to £25,000 a year.
What would I learn at College?
- How to design and make frames, drawers and doors using softwoods and hardwoods
- How to set up and use a range of hand and power tools
- How to use a range of industrial fixed machines
- How to select and prepare equipment and materials
- How to read and work off plans and specifications to manufacture furniture
- How to assemble various types of components and furniture
You should be aged 16 or over and ideally already be employed or have secured a work placement, however we may be able to help you with this.
To search and apply for apprenticeship vacancies visit the apprenticeship vacancy website.