Painting and Decorating Apprenticeship
- Subject Area: Painting & Decorating
- Attendance: Apprenticeship
- Qualification: Level 2 NVQ Diploma & Level 3 NVQ Diploma
- Course Start: September (start dates flexible through the year subject to availability)
- Course Length: Level 2 - 2 years Level 3 - 13 months
- Location: Millwright Street Campus
- Cost: Your employer will pay the costs associated with an Apprenticeship.
Courses run frequently subject to demand
You could progress from a level 2 to a level 3 qualification.
There is also the opportunity to progress onto higher education at the College.
All applicants will be required to pass an assessment.
You must have achieved the Level 2 NVQ Diploma to commence the Level 3 NVQ Diploma.
You must be employed within the trade area to be able to undertake this Apprenticeship course.
What's it all about?
This Painting and Decorating Apprenticeship is available to school leavers, those aged 16-18 and adults.
Painters and decorators use a range of coverings including paint and wallpaper to enhance and protect surfaces. These surfaces could include plaster, metal and wood. They work on a variety of domestic and industrial projects ranging from re-decorating homes to applying heavy-duty finishes to large structures like bridges.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- Artistic and creative
- Good communication skills
- Observant with a good eye for detail
How much could I earn?
Starting salaries can be between £14,500 and £17,000 a year. Average salaries for qualified painters and decorators are between £17,500 and £23,000 a year. Decorators with supervisors duties or specialist skills can earn over £23,000 a year.
What would I learn at College?
- How to use painting and decorating tools and equipment
- How to apply various oil/water based paints to different surfaces including windows, doors, ceilings and walls
- How to use different types of access equipment safely e.g. ladders and towers
- How to prepare different backgrounds ready to apply decorative finishing including wallpaper, paint and decorative effects
- How to apply various types of wall coverings including free match, patterned papers and embossed
- How to correctly apply decorative finishes such as marbling and graining, sponge stippling, stencilling and broken colour
You should be aged 16 or over and ideally already be employed or have secured a work placement, however we may be able to help you with this.
To search and apply for apprenticeship vacancies visit the apprenticeship vacancy website.