School Leaver Menu
Painting and Decorating Study Programme
- Subject Area: Painting & Decorating
- Attendance: Study Programme (School Leaver)
- Qualification: Level 1 Certificate/Diploma & Level 2 Diploma
- Course Start: September (start dates flexible through the year subject to availability)
- Course Length: Level 1 - 1 year Level 2 - 1 year Level 3 - 1 year
- Location: Millwright Street Campus
- Cost: N/A
Courses run frequently subject to demand
You could progress from a level 2 to a level 3 qualification. There is also the opportunity to progress onto higher education at the College.
All applicants will be required to sit a BKSB assessment and attend an interview.
You must have achieved the Level 1 Diploma to complete the Level 2 Diploma and the Level 2 Diploma to commence the Level 3 Diploma.
What's it all about?
Painters and decorators use a range of coverings including paint and wallpaper to enhance and protect surfaces. These surfaces could include plaster, metal and wood. They work on a variety of domestic and industrial projects ranging from re-decorating homes to applying heavy-duty finishes to large structures like bridges.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- Artistic and creative
- Good communication skills
- Observant with a good eye for detail
How much could I earn?
Starting salaries can be between £14,500 and £17,000 a year. Average salaries for qualified painters and decorators are between £17,500 and £23,000 a year. Decorators with supervisor duties or specialist skills can earn over £23,000 a year.
What would I learn at College?
- How to use painting and decorating tools and equipment
- How to apply various oil/water based paints to different surfaces including windows, doors, ceilings and walls
- How to use different types of access equipment safely e.g. ladders and towers
- How to prepare different backgrounds ready to apply decorative finishing including wallpaper, paint and decorative effects
- How to apply various types of wall coverings including free match, patterned papers and embossed
- How to apply decorative finished such as marbling and graining, sponge stippling, stencilling and broken colour