- Subject Area: Plastering
- Attendance: Apprenticeship
- Qualification: Level 2 NVQ Diploma & Level 3 NVQ Diploma
- Course Start: September
- Course Length: Level 2 - 2 years Level 3 - 13 months
- Location: North Street Campus
- Cost: Your employer will pay the costs associated with an Apprenticeship.
Courses run frequently subject to demand
You could progress from a level 2 to a level 3 qualification. There is also the opportunity to progress onto higher education at the College..
All applicants will be required to pass an assessment.
You must have achieved the Level 2 NVQ Diploma to commence the Level 3 NVQ Diploma.
You must be employed within the trade area to be able to undertake this Apprenticeship course.
What's it all about?
This Plastering Apprenticeship is available to school leavers, those aged 16-18 and adults.
Plasterers mix and apply plaster to walls and ceilings of buildings to provide a smooth or decorative finish. A plasterer will also produce ornamental plasterwork such as ceiling roses, cornices and columns.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- Observant with a keen eye for detail
- The ability to work well individually and as part of a team
- Good communication skills
How much could I earn?
Starting salaries can be between £14,000 and £17,000 a year. Qualified plasterers can earn from £17,500 to £25,000 or more.
What would I learn at College?
- How to use plastering tools and equipment e.g. trowel and hand board
- Discover the origin of plaster
- How to prepare walls and ceilings of prior to applying plaster
- How to apply sand/cement and lighweight plaster to various backgrounds
- How to create and fix fibrous plasterwork such as dado rails and ceiling centres
- How to apply external render and floor screed
- The various types of plasterboard that are available and how to prepare them for internal surfaces. There is also the opportunity to visit a local plasterboard plant to see how the products are manufactured
You should be aged 16 or over and ideally already be employed or have secured a work placement, however we may be able to help you with this.
To search and apply for apprenticeship vacancies visit the apprenticeship vacancy website.