School Leaver Menu
Plastering Study Programme
- Subject Area: Plastering
- Attendance: Study Programme (School Leaver)
- Qualification: Level 1 Extended Certificate/Diploma, Level 2 Diploma or Level 3 Diploma
- Course Start: September (start dates flexible through the year subject to availability)
- Course Length: Level 1 - 1 year Level 2 - 1 year Level 3 - 1 year
- Location: North Street Campus
- Cost: N/A
Courses run frequently subject to demand
You could progress from a level 2 to a level 3 qualification. There is also the opportunity to progress onto higher education at the College.
All applicants will be required to sit a BKSB assessment and attend an interview.
You must have achieved the Level 1 Diploma to commence the Level 2 Diploma and the Level 2 to commence the Level 3 Diploma.
What's it all about?
Plasterers mix and apply plaster to walls and ceilings of buildings to provide a smooth or decorative finish. A plasterer will also produce ornamental plasterwork such as ceiling roses, cornices and columns.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- Observant with a keen eye for detail
- The ability to work well individually and as part of a team
- Good communication skills
How much could I earn?
Starting salaries can be between £14,000 and £17,000 a year. Qualified plasterers can earn from £17,500 to £25,000 or more.
What would I learn at College?
- How to use plastering tools and equipment e.g. trowel and hand board
- Discover the origin of plaster
- How to prepare walls and ceilings of prior to applying plaster
- How to apply sand/cement and lighweight plaster to various backgrounds
- How to create and fix fibrous plasterwork such as dado rails and ceiling centres
- How to apply external render and floor screed
- The various types of plasterboard that are available and how to prepare them for internal surfaces. There is also the opportunity to visit a local plasterboard plant to see how the products are manufactured