Plumbing and Heating Apprenticeship
- Subject Area: Plumbing
- Attendance: Apprenticeship
- Qualification: Level 2 NVQ Diploma & Level 3 NVQ Diploma
- Course Start: September (start dates flexible through the year subject to availability)
- Course Length: Level 2 - 2 years Level 3 - 2 years
- Location: Hunslet Campus
- Cost: Your employer will pay the costs associated with an Apprenticeship.
Courses run frequently subject to demand
You could progress from a level 2 to a level 3 qualification. There is also the opportunity to progress onto higher education at the College.
All applicants will be required to pass an assessment.
You must have achieved the Level 2 NVQ Diploma to commence the Level 3 NVQ Diploma.
You must be employed within the trade area to be able to undertake this Apprenticeship course.
What's it all about?
This Plumbing and Heating Apprenticeship is available to school leavers, those aged 16-18 and adults.
Plumbers install, service and repair water supply, sanitation and heating systems. They also install bathroom suites including showers, toilets and basins.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- A basic understanding of mathematics, calculations and physics
- A careful, methodical and accurate approach to your work
- Good communication skills
How much could I earn?
Starting salaries for newly qualified plumbers can be between £18,000 and £22,000 a year. Experienced plumbers can earn between £22,000 and £35,000 a year.
What would I learn at College?
- The science behind plumbing and heating e.g. heat transfers, power, forces and pressure
- The environmental impact of plumbing and heating
- How to install bathrooms, heating systems and waste sanitation systems
- How to install and maintain showers, taps and valves
- How to cut, bend and solder copper pipe ready for installation
- How to cut and join plastic pipe ready for installation
- How to prepare the workplace/site ready for work to be carried out
You should be aged 16 or over and ideally already be employed or have secured a work placement, however we may be able to help you with this.
To search and apply for apprenticeship vacancies visit the apprenticeship vacancy website.