School Leaver Menu
Plumbing Study Programme
- Subject Area: Plumbing
- Attendance: Study Programme (School Leaver)
- Qualification: Entry Level 3 Certificate/Level 1 Certificate
- Course Start: September (start dates flexible through the year subject to availability)
- Course Length: Entry Level 3- 1 year Level 1 - 1 year
- Location: North Street Campus
- Cost: N/A
Courses run frequently subject to demand
You could progress from a level 2 to a level 3 qualification.
There is also the opportunity to progress onto higher education at the College.
All applicants will be required to sit a BKSB assessment and attend an interview.
What's it all about?
Plumbers install, service and repair water supply, sanitation and heating systems. They also install bathroom suites including showers, toilets and basins.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- A basic understanding of mathematics, calculations and physics
- A careful, methodical and accurate approach to your work
- Good communication skills
How much could I earn?
Starting salaries for newly qualified plumbers can be between £18,000 and £22,000 a year. Experienced plumbers can earn between £22,000 and £35,000 a year.
What would I learn at College?
- How to cut, bend and solder copper pipe ready for installation
- How to cut and join plastic pipe ready for installation
- How to prepare the workplace/site ready for work to be carried out
- The health and safety legislation relating to the installation and maintenance of electrical and plumbing systems
- The science behind plumbing e.g. heat transfers, power, forces and pressure
- How to install bathrooms, heating systems, and waste sanitation systems (level 2 only)
- How to cut, bend and solder copper pipe ready for installation (level 2 only)
Please note this course is training only and to achieve the full trade NVQ qualification and become fully qualified, you must have on site experience and assessments.