Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (RAC) Apprenticeship
- Subject Area: Air Conditioning & Refrigeration
- Attendance: Apprenticeship
- Qualification: Level 2 NVQ Diploma & Level 3 NVQ Diploma
- Course Start: September (start dates flexible through the year subject to availability)
- Course Length: Level 2 - 2 years Level 3 - 1 year
- Location: North Street Campus
- Cost: Your employer will pay the costs associated with an Apprenticeship.
Courses run frequently subject to demand
You could progress from a level 2 to a level 3 qualification. There is also the opportunity to progress onto higher education at the College.
All applicants will be required to pass an assessment.
It is desirable that you have 4 GCSEs at grades A*-C (grade 9-4) including English, mathematics and science.
You must be employed within the trade area to be able to undertake this Apprenticeship course.
What’s it all about?
This Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Apprenticeship is available to school leavers, those aged 16-18 and adults.
Refrigeration and air conditioning engineers could work on one of two broad areas. Refrigeration engineers design, install and maintain cooling systems in places like supermarkets, restaurants, hospitals, food processing plants and factories. Air conditioning engineers install and service the systems that control air quality, temperature and humidity inside offices, schools, leisure complexes and other modern buildings.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- A careful, methodical and accurate approach to your work
- A basic understanding of mathematics, calculations and physics
- Good written and verbal communication skills
How much could I earn?
Trainees can earn between £11,000 and £19,000 a year, depending on the stage of training. Newly qualified workers may earn between £20,000 and £25,000 a year. Experienced workers with supervisory duties may earn from £26,000 to £35,000 a year.
What would I learn at College?
- How to work safely in the building services sector
- How to joint and bend different types of pipework used in RAC systems
- How to install, test and maintain air conditioning and refrigeration systems
- How to handle fluorinated gases and ozone-depleting substances
- How to carry out electrical work on RAC systems and components
You should be aged 16 or over and ideally already be employed or have secured a work placement, however we may be able to help you with this.
To search and apply for apprenticeship vacancies visit the apprenticeship vacancy website.