Roof Slating and Tiling Apprenticeship
- Subject Area: Roofing
- Attendance: Apprenticeship
- Qualification: Level 2 NVQ Diploma & Level 3 NVQ Diploma
- Course Start: September (start dates flexible through the year subject to availability)
- Course Length: Level 2 - 2 years Level 3 - 13 months
- Location: Hunslet Campus
- Cost: Your employer will pay the costs associated with an Apprenticeship.
Courses run frequently subject to demand
You could progress from a level 2 to a level 3 qualification.
There is also the opportunity to progress onto higher education at the College.
All applicants will be required to pass an assessment.
You must have achieved the Level 2 NVQ Diploma to commence the Level 3 NVQ Diploma.
You must be employed within the trade area to be able to undertake this Apprenticeship course.
What's it all about?
This Roof Slating and Tiling Apprenticeship is available to school leavers, those aged 16-18 and adults.
Roofers work on new roofs, repair work and refurbishment (stripping old roofs off and replacing them with new roofs). This can be done using a variety of methods, from large format concrete tiles with a covering of 10 tiles per m² to small formats with a covering of 60 tiles per m². The work can range from a small repair to a house extension.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- A careful, methodical and accurate approach to your work
- The ability to work well in a team
- A head for heights
How much could I earn?
A roofing labourer can earn from £13,000 to £15,000 a year. Once qualified this can rise to between £16,000 and £24,000. Experienced roofers can earn up to £31,000 a year.
What would I learn at College?
- How to cut and fix backgrounds onto a roof such as felt, battens and lead work
- How to cut and fix large format tiles (single-lap)
- How to cut and fix small profile tiles (double-lap)
- How to cut and fix slates
- How to cut and fix ridge tiles with mortar and mechanically dry fix
- How to use roofing tools e.g. trowel
You should be aged 16 or over and ideally already be employed or have secured a work placement, however we may be able to help you with this.
To search and apply for apprenticeship vacancies visit the apprenticeship vacancy website.