- Subject Area: Shopfitting
- Attendance: Apprenticeship
- Qualification: Level 2 NVQ Diploma & Level 3 NVQ Diploma
- Course Start: September (start dates flexible through the year subject to availability)
- Course Length: Level 2 - 2 years Level 3 - 13 months
- Location: North Street Campus
- Cost: Your employer will pay the costs associated with an Apprenticeship.
Courses run frequently subject to demand
You could progress from a level 2 to a level 3 qualification. There is also the opportunity to progress onto higher education at the College.
All applicants will be required to pass an assessment.
You must have achieved the Level 2 NVQ Diploma to commence the Level 3 NVQ Diploma.
You must be employed within the trade area to be able to undertake this Apprenticeship course.
What's it all about?
This Shopfitting Apprenticeship is available to school leavers, those aged 16-18 and adults.
Shopfitters make and install the fixtures and fittings in shops of all sizes. They also build and fit shop fronts, doorways and entrances to shops and refurbish other premises such as banks, offices, restaurants and bars.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- A careful, methodical and accurate approach to your work
- The ability to follow drawings, plans and written or spoken instructions
- Good organisational skills
How much could I earn?
Starting salaries can be from £13,500 to £16,000 a year. Experienced shopfitters can earn between £17,000 and £22,000. With supervisory responsibilities, this could rise to around £30,000 a year.
What would I learn at College?
- How to set out jobs full size and create cutting lists
- How to mark out and cut traditional joints
- How to manufacture various joinery components e.g. windows, doors and staircases in softwood and hardwood
- How to calculate and cost materials
- How to set up and use a range of hand and power tools and woodworking machinery
You should be aged 16 or over and ideally already be employed or have secured a work placement, however we may be able to help you with this.
To search and apply for apprenticeship vacancies visit the apprenticeship vacancy website.