Site Carpentry Apprenticeship
- Subject Area: Carpentry & Joinery
- Attendance: Apprenticeship
- Qualification: Level 2 NVQ Diploma & Level 3 NVQ Diploma
- Course Start: September
- Course Length: Level 2 - 2 years Level 3 - 13 months
- Location: North Street Campus
- Cost: Your employer will pay the costs associated with an Apprenticeship.
Courses run frequently subject to demand
You could progress from a level 2 to a level 3 qualification. There is also the opportunity to progress onto higher education at the College.
All applicants will be required to pass an assessment.
You must have achieved the Level 2 NVQ Diploma to commence the Level 3 NVQ Diploma.
You must be employed within the trade area to be able to undertake this Apprenticeship course.
What's it all about?
This Site Carpentry Apprenticeship is available to school leavers, those aged 16-18 and adults.
Carpenters work with wood on building sites or in customers' homes to fit or repair doors, window frames, stairs, floorboards, cupboards, roof trusses and partitions. They use traditional woodworking tools as well as specialised power or hand tools for cutting, shaping, smoothing and finishing.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- A careful, methodical and accurate approach to your work
- The ability to follow drawings, plans and written or spoken instructions
- The ability to work well in a team
How much could I earn?
Qualified carpenters and joiners earn between £18,000 and £25,000 a year. With experience, this can rise from £26,000 to over £30,000 a year.
What would I learn at College?
- How to create drawings and cutting lists
- How to mark out and cut traditional joints
- How to manufacture various carpentry components e.g. windows, doors and staircases
- How to fix various carpentry components e.g. floorboards, cupboards and roof trusses
- How to calculate and cost materials
- How to set up and use a range of hand and power tools
You should be aged 16 or over and ideally already be employed or have secured a work placement, however we may be able to help you with this.
To search and apply for apprenticeship vacancies visit the apprenticeship vacancy website.