School Leaver Menu
Wall and Floor Tiling Study Programme
- Subject Area: Wall & Floor Tiling
- Attendance: Study Programme (School Leaver)
- Qualification: Level 1 Extended Certificate/Diploma & Level 2 Diploma
- Course Start: September (start dates flexible through the year subject to availability)
- Course Length: Level 1 - 1 year Level 2 - 1 year
- Location: North Street Campus
- Cost: N/A
Courses run frequently subject to demand
You could progress onto higher education at the College.
All applicants will be required to sit a BKSB assessment and attend an interview.
You must have achieved the Level 1 Diploma to commence the Level 2 Diploma.
What's it all about?
Wall & floor tilers lay tiles on the walls and floors of buildings including hospitals, shopping centre, swimming pools, industrial premises or bathrooms and kitchens. Tilers usually work with ceramic, porcelain and natural products including marble, granite, slate and terracotta. They also follow plans drawn up by an architect, builder or designer.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- A creative eye
- Observant with a keen eye for detail
- The ability to work well individually and as part of a team
How much could I earn?
Trainee tilers' earnings vary but can be up to £14,000 a year. Qualified tilers can earn between £17,000 and £23,000. Experienced tilers with supervisory or training duties can earn between £25,000 and £30,000.
What would I learn at College?
- How to use wall and floor tiling tools and equipment e.g. cutting equipment, trowel and levels
- How to prepare walls and floors prior to tiling including laying underfloor heating, application of plasterboard, two coat render and floor screeds
- The various types of tiles that are available and how to fix them using the correct adhesives and grouts
- How to set out floors and walls including patterened work and how to fix tiles to these areas